First to the forum – Please everyone do not think I intend to rain on anyone parade but history is full of well-meaning dedicated to G-d individuals that have foolishly and tirelessly marched off in the wrong direction to serve G-d. During WWII at the battle of the bulge the rank and file German soldiers posted a sign facing the Allied lines that claimed “G-d is with us”.
It does seem to me that throughout history the call to serve G-d have been as destructive and an engine of human suffering as any other force the moves mankind. Currently the call of the Jihadist or terrorists is a call of total sacrifice in service to G-d.
Perhaps there are some things to consider in one’s service to G-d:
1. Don’t make a big deal of it or feel any need to announce your service to anyone.
2. Be willing not only to perform service in secret but be ashamed if you are discovered because you have, at least in part, failed if you are given thanks along with G-d.
3.. Understand the declaration of King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon “And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. “
4. Do not perform your service thinking that it will make you any better than anyone else.
5. Do not perform your service thinking that it will somehow reap you some additional reward or joy either here or at some future time in heaven. Do it with the understanding that the best reward is in knowing that the needed service was accomplished.
6. Be willing to apologize and take all the blame if your efforts do not work out well.
7. Finally - Be willing to scrap all your plans and accept a call to be the only person to do the clean-up after the Primary nursery class (including through-up, spilled food and dirty dippers) so everybody else can be out in the hall socializing and having fun at the end of church.
Last edited by Traveler; 07-04-2012 at 09:37 AM.